This is one of my favorite vegan soup recipes. It’s easy to make, uses easy to find ingredients and most importantly, is delicious. This vegan pea soup is healthy, low in fat, easy, cheap, hearty and filling. It’s great to eat as a meal in itself or as a side with a salad or sandwich.
8 to 10
2 cups (450 g) green split peas
2 cups chopped yellow onion
4 cups cubed creamy yellow potatoes (Yukon Gold for example)
3 cups of carrots, cut into disks
2 cups diced celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs. olive oil
8 to 10 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
- Check the split peas for stones and impurities.
- Chop the vegetables.
- Put the ingredients in a heavy bottom pot, and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover loosely.
- Check the water level and stir the soup every 20 minutes. If necessary, add water to keep the vegetables submerged.
- Cook for at least 1 hour. When done, the potatoes should be completely cooked and the peas should be very soft and mushy.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender
Leftovers will last for about a week in the fridge and the soup tastes just as good reheated as it does fresh. An hour of cooking will leave you with leftovers for a whole week. You can also freeze the soup and microwave it when you’re in a hurry. I hope you enjoy my vegetarian green pea soup as much as I do.