I’ve reimagined classic French onion soup to create a vegan version with even more flavour than the original. While this soup takes time to prepare, it’s important not to rush the caramelizing of the onions as the entire flavour of the soup is based on the complex sugars created by slowly browning the onions. This easy soup recipe requires a simple list of ingredients, but results in a rich, complex vegetarian onion soup that will satisfy you when you crave a savoury treat.
6 to 8
10 cups (3 pounds) yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. margarine
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
3 Tbs flour
10 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbs. miso paste
4 Tbs. brandy
1 or 2 slices French bread per bowl, day old or toasted
1 Tbs. nutritional yeast per bowl (optional)
- Thinly slice the onions and mince the garlic. Thin slices will speed the caramelization process.
- Heat the margarine and oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or skillet. When the margarine has melted, add the onions and cook until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt and garlic and continue occasionally stirring the onions, making sure to not let them burn. Cook until the onions are a caramel colour, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable stock.
- Dissolve the flour in a 1/4 cup hot stock. Stir into the onions and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onions to the pot with the vegetable stock, and deglaze the onion pan with brandy or hot stock to get all the tasty caramelized onion bits.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, add the brandy and cover. Simmer the soup for 1 hour. Check occasionally and add water if the level has reduced significantly.
- Reduce heat to bring the soup below boiling temperature. Dissolve the miso in 1/4 cup broth and stir into the soup. It’s important not to boil the miso since doing so will break down the beneficial bacteria and enzymes it contains. Cook at a medium low temperature for 30 minutes.
- Portion soup into bowls, top with slices of French bread and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. Enjoy!
This vegan onion soup can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen and thawed when you crave the rich broth and caramelized onions. Now you know how to make French onion soup for vegans. I hope you enjoy this simple French onion soup as much as I do!