My favorite way to cook this vegan chili recipe is low and slow, preferably in a slow cooker if you have one. If you like your chili spicy, this is the recipe for you. Chili is a healthy, filling and hearty meal that will please the whole family. My secret ingredient is bulgar wheat, which plumps out as the chili cooks in the slow cooker, turning into tiny, chewy balls of flavor.
This vegetarian chili recipe makes enough to fill an eight quart crock pot. If your crock pot is smaller than that, scale down the quantities or cook the chili in a stock pot on the stove.
14-16 full portions
- 2 cups dry kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups dry black beans beans
- 6 cups of bean cooking water
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- One can tomato paste, 6 oz
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 avocado per person for garnishing
- 3 jalapeño peppers, diced (include the seeds if you want it spicy)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 chipotle chilis with adobe sauce, minced
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the dried kidney and black beans until tender.
- While the beans are cooking, chop the vegetables and measure the spices into a bowl.
- Preheat large frying pan on high heat and add vegetable oil
- Sauté vegetables in a large frying pan for 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, ginger and jalapeño and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices (except for the cocoa powder and bay leaved) and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans, saving the water.
- Transfer the beans and 6 cups of bean water to the slow cooker, turned to high.
- Transfer the sautéed vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add bulgar wheat, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, soy sauce and cocoa powder.
- Once the chili comes to a bowl, turn the slow cooker to low.
- Cook for 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn 15 minutes before serving.
- Slice the avocado for garnishing
- Dish the chili into a bowl, garnish with slices of avocado and serve.
I like to pair my vegetable chili with vegan cornbread or a hearty rustic loaf of bread. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook this in a large stock pot over low heat.
This recipe makes a lot of chili! If you bring this yummy vegan chili along to a potluck, everyone will be asking for the recipe. Be ready to eat tasty leftovers the next day.